Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Altitude

A friend asked if it's difficult living at 8000-8500 ft. above sea level.
Well, backpackers, hikers, athletes acclimatize in just a few days.
Couch potatoes like me take a bit longer.
After 3 to 5 days I stopped feeling discomfort walking up and down 3 flights of stairs.
I needed to stop and rest walking up a 200 ft. long 20 degree slope.
After month, that wasn't a problem anymore,
There's a quarter mile 30-40 degree hill leading from downtown to a park we go to frequently.
The first time I tried it, I had to stop twice.
That's not a problem now.
From there to the house is about another half mile uphill with grades as steep as 60 degrees.
The few times we've done it, it was very slowly and we stopped to catch our breath about halfway.
Not feeling we need to be heroes, we walk downhill to the park, nearby restaurants and shops or downtown and take a taxi back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment